[argyllcms] Re: Purple-Blue shift problem with Epson printer

  • From: "Stefan - ooge.com" <stefan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 11:25:58 +0200

Hi,
i tryed now a differend paper (even one without FWA) and differend printer (9800 and 11880). And the purple shift in blue is always the same compared with standard printerdriver settings and commercial CMM.

All over Argyll CMM hit the colors very well but for this shift in blue i would give Argyll a "no go" :(

The workflow is only RGB (not CMYK!) from Photoshop with Epson printer Driver. This should be a very common workflow and i wonder nobody getting in trouble with this before.
May it is just me or i use wrong parameter creating the profile?

targen -v -d2 -f441 eps_test
printtarg -v -ii1 -pA4 -t 180 eps_test
chartread -v -c1 -H eps_test
colprof -v -D"eps_test-argyll-srgb" -qh -S sRGB.icc -cmt -dpp eps_test

thanks for feedback :)

best,
Stefan

Am 02.04.2011 00:17, schrieb Elena [service address]:
Hello Ernst

On  1-Apr-2011, Ernst Dinkla wrote:
Couldn't it be just the mismatch of an FBA effect of the paper and a
profile not precisely compensated/adapted for it ?

The fluorescent brightening effect in papers is much more varied than
the compensations used suggest.

Other than using -f I don't know what one could do - unless tweaking
with observer parameters, spectrum, etc. But it's my feeling that it's
a more subtle matter (not so big, of course).
A more or less common CMYK process will never allow a saturated RGB blue,
so the resulting closest match is a de-saturated blue [unless using
saturation intent, maybe ?] And a de-saturated blue in my experience always
tends to look more purplish than just light blue to the eye. This also happens
on monitor with RGB: I often find useful, when creating light blues, to add a
little amount of green to compensate for this purplish effect. So maybe it's
just my eye, or a common and complex psycho-visual effect.

/&