[argyllcms] Re: Profiling my Lenovo X61 display

  • From: Florian Höch <lists+argyllcms@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:52:56 +0100

Hi,

I think the issue in your case is a whitepoint that is quite different from the "rest" of the display's uncalibrated response. I have seen screens that also have rather warm whitepoint like the 5500K in your case, but if I measured, say, 10% gray (uncalibrated of cource), the color temp would be in the ~7000K range, so the overall look being rather blueish and not warm as you'd expect from looking only at the whitepoint.

As dispcal tries to make the gray balance match the whitepoint down the axis most of the way, this could explain the brownish appearance you're observing after calibration in comparison to the uncalibrated screen. If you let your eyes adapt to the whitepoint for a while, this brownish cast might "disappear" (or atleast fade), but in your case you want to match the other screen, so, probably measure its whitepoint (dispcal -r, then look at the reported daylight temp) and use that as a parameter to the -t option to set the whitepoint on your laptop screen. This might not work well if it sacrifices too much brightness, though.

Regards,

Florian Höch

Am 22.01.2010 09:02, schrieb Pedro Côrte-Real:
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Pedro Côrte-Real<pedro@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:15 AM, Andrew Lutomirski<amluto@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
At least calibrating stopped all grays from looking blue on my monitor.

That's pretty much the point really.

But it hasn't been the result so far. I'm running these commands:

$ dispcal -yl -m -F -v -d2 X61
$ targen -v  -d3 -f500 X61 # I've tried more patches too (up to 2000)
$ dispread -yl -d2 -v -k X61.cal X61
$ colprof -v -D"X61 V8" -qm -S /usr/share/color/icc/srgb.icc -cpp -dmt X61

When dispread starts reading patches the grey in the display turns
brown and the end result ends up being like that. So I'm assuming that
dispcal is not producing an adequate .cal file. Anything I'm doing
wrong? Is there any White/Black point setting I'm missing?

Cheers,

Pedro