[argyllcms] Re: Profiling my Lenovo X61 display

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:49:25 +0000

Hi :)

Pedro Côrte-Real wrote:

When dispread starts reading patches the grey in the display turns
brown and the end result ends up being like that.

How are you evaluating that display? Are you displaying a grey image, and if so, does the program doing the displaying support colour management?

I'm wondering if the profile you created without calibration information is still loaded. If so, programs using that profile will be correcting against the blue cast on the screen, separately from the calibration, so when you load the new calibration curve that correction is being applied twice, and thus it's overshooting, making greys brown.

If you install and load the newly-created profile that includes calibration data, then quit and restart any colour-management-aware software, does the problem go away?

So I'm assuming that
dispcal is not producing an adequate .cal file. Anything I'm doing
wrong? Is there any White/Black point setting I'm missing?

You can test the .cal file in isolation like this:

dispwin -c

(Clears the calibration tables, returns the screen to uncalibrated state. Check that you're seeing bluish rather than corrected greys.)

dispwin X61.cal

(Loads the calibration table - check your greys once more.)
One other minor point - you probably want -cmt -dmt in your colprof line, rather than -cpp -dmt. That's a side-issue though, and shouldn't be throwing off your greys.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson