[argyllcms] Re: Noob camera profiling question

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 08:28:51 -0700

On 2012-05-31, at 8:14 AM, Jannes Bolten wrote:

> Is there a recommended process for making camera profiles with ArgyllCMS?

I've found that Argyll is an indispensable part of the workflow for copy
stand-type work, and a detriment to all other types of photography. I literally
can't imagine doing giclée work without Argyll, and I can't imagine using
Argyll in any other setting.

The Scenarios.html file in the documentation that comes with Argyll tells you
exactly what to do. Yes, you'll be profiling TIFFs, not RAW files.

You'll want your RAW converter to get as close as possible before handing it
over to Argyll. I've done this by using a ColorChecker Passport and the
software that comes with it to create a DNG profile. The auto-created profile
needed further refinement with Adobe's DNG editor, especially with the tone
curve (all the defaults bake in a lot of contrast; start with a linear
``curve'' for the baseline and then adjust that as needed).

You'll also want to use Robin Myers's EquaLight to take care of both lens
periphery falloff and any irregularities in your lighting setup; this happens
after RAW conversion to TIFF but before Argyll.

That should get you pointed in the right direction...of course, it's a long and
bumpy road from here....

Cheers,

b&