[argyllcms] Noob camera profiling question

  • From: Jannes Bolten <jannesbolten@xxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:14:44 +0200

Hello.

This is a noob question.

I'm a photographer and am tinkering with the idea of profiling my camera. The
reason I haven't done so already is that it seems there are too many factors
that make a camera profile unusable in practice. In the past I have tried to
make a profile for my D3 using Lprof, but never got it quite right. However, I
didn't spend much energy and time on trying different settings and testing.
(Except for shooting my target…) Nevertheless, I'd like to give it another try
with ArgyllCMS.

Is there a recommended process for making camera profiles with ArgyllCMS? (I
mean aside from shooting the target. I'm more interested in learning about how
a custom profile would fit into my regular digital photography workflow, mostly
RAW conversion.)

And more specifically:

Does ArgyllCMS make the profiles straight from NEF (Nikon RAW) files, or does
it require a TIF of the target?

Does it even make sense to create a profile if the RAW conversion software
doesn't offer an option for specifying input profiles? Big companies' software
like Adobe Camera Raw and Nikon Capture NX2 don't have an option for this. I
remember that C1 Pro by PhaseOne does allow for custom input profiles, and a
small company's application called Iridient RAW Developer does too.