[argyllcms] Re: New to CMS - looking for advice on device to use with argyllcms

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 16:16:00 +0100

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Mike Peters <mike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently looking into Colour Management for the first time and
> I'm looking for some pointers regards which device to purchase. I'm
> running Fedora 12 64bit and am obviously looking for something
> compatible with ArgyllCMS on Linux. I'm not looking to pay too much and
> as such am looking at the following devices:
>
> X-Rite i1 Display LT
> Pantone Huey Monitor Calibrator
> Colorvision Spyder 3 Express/Elite

I have a Huey, which is great bang for the buck. I just purchased a
ColorMunki and it's much better.

So you're probably best off with an i1 Display LT on your budget.

I wouldn't recommend any products from DataColor (Spyder) as you need
to rip firmware for most of them.

> I'm mainly looking at calibrating my monitors (all LCD) - I have an HP
> Photosmart C6380 printer/scanner but don't generally use it for
> printing photos. For printing I use online services such as Photobox.
> Bearing that in mind, which of the above would be most suited to my
> purpose, or am I barking up the wrong tree completely and should be
> looking at something else entirely? Not sure if it makes any
> difference, but I primarily use Bibble for RAW processing and shoot
> with a Canon 40D.

Coincidentally I have a C6280 which I do use for photo printing, I
love Staples' Satin Supreme paper.

I use UFRaw for processing raws though.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn