[argyllcms] Re: How can I tell if I'm using my profile? (and other questions)

  • From: Adrian Mariano <adrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:05:03 -0400

Graeme Gill wrote:
Adrian Mariano wrote:

But if ambient light level truly matters then there must be some built in assumption about what it means to not apply this adjustment. Does

No, not at all. Not applying the adjustment is simply not
altering the response target curve from what's specified.
Well, does ambient light matter or not? If it truly matters then any model that doesn't include it explicitly necessarily includes it implicitly. (Otherwise you violate my initial assumption that it truly matters.) In this case, any model that does not include ambient light is an approximation to or a reduction of the "real" model that does include it. So the question then becomes what ambient light do you have to assume that leads to "not altering the response target curve from what's specified"? If you take the model that includes ambient light, how do you make it reduce to the one that does not include ambient light? What value do you put on ambient light to get it to reduce to the model where you "simply [don't] alter the response target curve".