[argyllcms] Re: How can I tell if I'm using my profile? (and other questions)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 00:40:34 +1100

Adrian Mariano wrote:
I'm not sure, but I suspect my device is not able to read the ambient light level. (How can I tell for sure?)

It's generally a feature of a particular instrument, but I think
that of the instruments Argyll supports, only the Huey and
Eye-One Pro rev D have ambient support.

Is there some resource I can use to estimate it? (e.g. I have the room illuminated by one 19 W fluorescent bulb, the room has certain dimensions, and there is one window..... Light level is of course different at noon than at midnight, but I might have a night profile and a day profile, I suppose.) What assumption about ambient light level is the default? (Or what assumption is built in if you don't add a correction?)

There are no assumptions made if you don't specify and ambient level,
an ambient rendering adjustment simply isn't applied.

It's actually the ratio of the ambient level to the brightness of
the display that counts, so you could use that as a guide, but
you would essentially be "tweaking by eye".