[argyllcms] Re: Help setting up argyllcms on new machine

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 12:46:41 +1100

Leonard Evens wrote:
After doing this,  dispwin -L worked.   But today, after having logged
out and rebooted once or twice and shut off the machine to move it,  I
found that dispwin -L complained about not being able to find what it
needed.  Also, xprop -root didn't show any installed profile.

Can you be more specific about the errors ?

So I don't understand why previously, the dispwin -L in .bash_profile
set the profile, but now on the new machine it doesn't without rerunning
dispwin -I.

I've no idea without some more detail.

What it's trying to do isn't that complicated. dispwin -I stashes
a copy of the profile in $HOME/.local/share/color/icc/devices/display/
and a configuration file that associates the display with
the profile in $HOME/.config/color.jcnf.
(This assumes you haven't been setting $XDG_* environment variables.)

When you do a dispwin -L, it looks up the profile needed in the
color.jcnf, and then loads the profile from
$HOME/.local/share/color/icc/devices/display/
into the X11 atom, as well as extracting and loading
any calibration curve.

You could try verbose (-v) and debug flags (-D5), to see
if they reveal any extra information, as well as looking
at what gets put in $HOME/.local/share/color/icc/devices/display/,
and what's in $HOME/.config/color.jcnf.

(One thing to keep in mind is that the Gnome Color manager
 might be stuffing everything up. If so, I'd be interested
 to know if this is the case.)