[argyllcms] Re: Help setting up argyllcms on new machine

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 09:39:28 -0600

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 09:25 -0600, Leonard Evens wrote:
> I had set up a profile for my old machine.   It was set up under Fedora
> Linux 12 so that when I logged in, a line in .bash_profile ran dispwin
> -L,   I had of course ran dispwin -I previously.
>
> I tried to setup my new machine, running Fedora 14 Linux,  in a similar
> way with the same dot files containing profiles.   I ran dispwin -I
> using what I thought was the most recent profile I had created.  (I plan
> to start from scratch at a later date and make a new profile.)
>
> After doing this,  dispwin -L worked.   But today, after having logged
> out and rebooted once or twice and shut off the machine to move it,  I
> found that dispwin -L complained about not being able to find what it
> needed.  Also, xprop -root didn't show any installed profile.
>
> So I don't understand why previously, the dispwin -L in .bash_profile
> set the profile, but now on the new machine it doesn't without rerunning
> dispwin -I.
>
> I have the same .color and .local/share/color files on the new machine.
>
> Also, the old machine is now attached to another monitor, but xprop
> -root shows an installed profile despite my not having rerun dispwin -I.
>
> Why did it disappear from the new machine?

I just checked, and it is logging out that does it.  On my old machine,
the profile information stays in the video card when I logout, but it
disappears from the video card on the new machine when I logout.

I could do with a review of how this is all supposed to work and an
explanation of why the two machines differ int this regard.

--
Leonard Evens len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University