[argyllcms] Re: Fw: Re: Correction for wide gamut screens and/or RGB-LED?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:17:49 +1000

Juergen Lilien wrote:
But I can't understand the following point.
In 2-2. they claim to have used an Eye One pro (spectrometer) as
the measuring device, but the sensitivity (RGB) graphs look more
like the response curves of a colorimeter (CIE 1931 standard observer
color matching function). I thought these reponse curves are
only typical for colorimeters, so what am I getting wrong here?

The aim is always to arrive at tri-stimulus values, it's just
that colorimeters and spectrometers use two different mechanisms.
A spectrometer measures the spectrum and then computes the
filter values. A colorimeter uses physical filters. They
have different inaccuracies. Making physical filters
that match the standard observer curves accurately is hard
(ie. expensive), and low cost instruments don't do this very
well, hence the need for a CRT/LCD switch, and the problems
with wide gamut monitors. Computing the filters allows
for the greater flexibility of using different observer models.