[argyllcms] Re: Fw: Re: Correction for wide gamut screens and/or RGB-LED?

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:12:48 +1000

Juuso Ritari wrote:
http://www.eizo.com/na/support/wp/pdf/wp_08-002.pdf . Does argyllcms support 10 degree field of view calibration?

If you are using a spectrometer, you can select the observer model
that colprof uses using the -o option. You can select the 1964 10 degree
observer using the "-o 1964_10".

dispcal doesn't currently support this option, although it wouldn't be
hard to add (although it would necessitate messing with the current
-o and -O options).

Naturally this possibility isn't available if you are using a colorimeter.

If there were a colorimeter correction matrix for a specific display, then
it would be possible to create a correction that better matches the 10 degree
observer.

Note that one of the issues is that if this spectral difference exists
between the two displays, that better matching the overall (ie. large
viewing angle) between the displays will worsen their small viewing
angle (detail) match.

Or does one have some different solution to match wide gamut and normal gamut? I could get efi ef-1000 if needed.

The observer field of view has little directly to do with the gamut
a monitor is capable of reproducing, but does depend on the type
of viewing situation and objects. The 10 degree of view model is
intended for matching of larger areas of color, for instance
architectural colors. The normal 2 degree model is intended for
matching colors that are at the centre of our visual attention.

[This is all to do with how much the fourth type of light receptor
 in our eyes contributes to the color sensation. It is less present
 in the central part of the retina, and more dominant in the periphery.]

I have used dtp94 too and found it to be more accurate than displayone. Too bad it's not my own.

I think the DTP94 is a better engineered instrument.