[argyllcms] Re: Eye of Gnome Color Management

  • From: "Alastair M. Robinson" <profiling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:07:51 +0100

Hi :)

Leonard Evens wrote:

Searching the eog development archives, I found
notes to the effect that color management only worked for files with
imbedded color profiles.  (This is considered a defect.)  I don't know
if that means it uses only the imbedded profile or if it means that it
will only make use of the system display profile if there is a profile
of any sort imbedded in the file, e.g, an sRGB profile.

I would think the latter.  That agrees with what I see here, on Ubuntu 8.04.

Any comments?

Try installing the following as your monitor profile:
http://www.blackfiveimaging.co.uk/pathological.icc

(dispwin -I pathological.icc
You'll obviously have to install your real profile again when you're done experimenting.)

This is an RGB profile with an absurd gamma value, so any software which honours the system monitor profile will now display very dark images, leaving you in no doubt that the profile is being used.

I've just done a 2-minute test here, and I only see the profile being used if the original image (a) has an embedded profile, and (b) is a JPEG file!

Bizarrely, a greyscale JPEG with no embedded profile is also treated correctly, but again, only JPEGs.

All the best,
--
Alastair M. Robinson