[argyllcms] Eye of Gnome Color Management

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:28:01 -0500

I have been confused about whether or not Eye of Gnome, under Linux,
supports color management.  There seemed to be several bits of seemingly
contradictory evidence.

1.  eog definitely shows something different on the display from what
gimp, inkscape, and Firefox, all of which agree, show. The last three
programs can be configured to get the display profile from from the
system, and they show exactly the same thing for any image file.   If I
tell those  programs not to use the display profile, then what they show
looks exactly like what eog shows.

2.  Searching the source code for eog does bring up icc strings.   I
believe it may also show it making an attempt to get the profile from
the system, but I'm not sure about that.   I didn't try to actually
understand the code, looking instead just at function calls which seemed
relevant.

3.  At the suggestion of a couple of previous responses to my posts, I
tried looking at certain test files as recommended, and the results
seemed to confirm that eog was using color management information.

1 seems inconsistent with 2 and 3.   But I believe I may have discovered
one possible source.    Searching the eog development archives, I found
notes to the effect that color management only worked for files with
imbedded color profiles.  (This is considered a defect.)  I don't know
if that means it uses only the imbedded profile or if it means that it
will only make use of the system display profile if there is a profile
of any sort imbedded in the file, e.g, an sRGB profile.    It may be
that the image files I've been testing with don't have imbedded
profiles.

Any comments?
--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University