[argyllcms] Display calibration and gray balance

  • From: Fabrizio Levati <fabrizio.levati@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:13:58 +0200

Recently I played with DispcalGUI to calibrate and profile a standard iMac 22"
display for prepress with my Eye-One Pro.
Starting from the corresponding preset and with some slight change I have been
able to obtain what appears to be very good result (see attached verify
results).
Not satisfied, I tried to verify the calibration/profile with a software tool
that is specifically intended for such a prepress certification. The overall
result is remarkable and the only test failed (not a surprise) was the gray
balance.
Now I need your help (this list is full of experts and I am sadly not among
them) to better understand the differences between the Dispcal verification
method and the one resumed in the screenshot.

Is it really impossible to achieve better results in terms of "tone values"
working only with the VCGT transfer curves?

Thanks to Graeme, Florian and all the guys patiently answering questions on
this list.

Fabrizio

Title: Profile Verification | iMac 2010-04-17 130cdm² D5000 min native 2.4 HQ XYZLUT | 2010-04-18 13:33:07

Profile Verification

Report

Evaluation criteria:

Delta E formula for overview: CIE 1976 CIE 1994 CIE 2000

PNG image