[argyllcms] Re: DELL Laptop RGBLED calibration

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:22:17 +0200 (CEST)

Am 05.06.09, 09:26 +1000 schrieb Graeme Gill:
Hal V. Engel wrote:
Since it is a compiz plug in calibration and profiling can be done by disabling the plug in before doing these operations. Disabling and enabling plug ins is a very simple operation for users. I believe that this plug in is derived from an OpenICC Google Summer of Code 2008 project. If so it does use the GPU shaders to do the work.

Right, but such a thing is poor U/I, just another thing to go wrong. The
pluggin should recognise a window property (something like "_NET_WM_WINDOW_NO_CM")

Tomas Carnecky wrote the original spec during GSoC2008. It includes per window regions to server side profile mapping and the colour management request to the window colour server. Possibly it became not clear on the OpenICC thread.

that the calibration application would set, so that it doesn't matter if the user
forgets to disable the pluggin. Applications managing their own CM would set
the same. Of course, there should also be properties that can set the source
profile per window, or provide a device link per window (perhaps the pluggin
already handles these.)

This can be handled automatically. In fact Oyranos contains a sample application, called image_display, which fully implements Tomas' proposal and my, still to be documented, extensions. Therefore I said my plug-in is experimental. The result is a hole in the colour_desktop' colour managed curtain to show the regions, which are early colour managed by the application. The same can be used for calibration without any user interaction. Allowing for explicite CM prohibition is on of the older demands in the Oyranos CMS design. I try to keep close to that target.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management www.behrmann.name + www.oyranos.org