[argyllcms] Re: Creating a camera profile with ColorChecker Passport Please Help

  • From: Ben Goren <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:55:00 -0700

On Jun 12, 2015, at 3:21 PM, Brett Howard <brett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Do I need to shoot this thing so overly bright that when I click a linear
input profile that I still get L*=97?

"It depends."

If you're doing copy work, the profile is pretty much valid only for identical
everything -- lighting, exposure, the works. The farther you wander from the
original conditions the profile was created with, the farther the profile is
going to be from working properly.

If this is a general-purpose profile...well, that's a kinda deep rabbit hole.
To get not-sucky results, at the very least you're going to need a spectrometer
that can measure illuminants, such as an i1 Pro. And there're various workflow
considerations, depending on your RAW processor and more...

...and I'd suggest starting small, just working on getting a profile you can
use for copy work. Once you've got that under your belt, then move on to
something general-purpose.

b&