[argyllcms] Re: Creating a camera profile with ColorChecker Passport Please Help

  • From: Iliah Borg <iliah.i.borg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 10:14:58 -0400

Hi Brett,

In raw your shot is underexposed slightly more than 1 stop. No, it is not
necessarily a bad thing for profiling, but I would add 0.5 EV and compare. I
would also try to avoid bright background, it adds to shadow non-linearity,
especially if the target is slightly underexposed.
You can use RawDigger (free 30-day trial should be enough to create a few
profiles) to create CGATS out of this file and feed it to argyll, or to
argyll-based free utility MakeInputICC
http://s3.amazonaws.com/IliahBorg/MakeInputICC/MakeInputICC_Win.zip
http://s3.amazonaws.com/IliahBorg/MakeInputICC/MakeInputICC_Mac.zip

For things to work smoother, when exporting CGATS from RawDigger, set 233 in
Data Scaling for linear profiles, and to 242 for gamma 2.2 profiles. For
ColorChecker Passport white balance can be set from C4 for slightly
underexposed targets, and from D4 for targets exposed in such a way that the
white patch is about -0.5 EV from the clipping point. Help pages for grids over
targets in RawDigger:
http://www.rawdigger.com/usermanual/selection-grid
http://www.rawdigger.com/usermanual/sampleswindow/save
http://www.rawdigger.com/usermanual/sampleswindow

On Jun 12, 2015, at 4:51 AM, Brett Howard wrote:

The image starts looking WAY too dark when I tell it to use a linear profile.
The image looks perfect when I use the standard color space. I was afraid
that resizing things would muck up the process.

All of the documentation videos and everything I've seen state that the file
should be exported into a linear 16 bit TIFF to then be read in. I have the
original RAW file here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1493706/SFW_4384.NEF

I just tried exporting it via linear in my other tool and resizing and that
gave the same results.

I then tried exporting it via the default icc profile (which seems like the
wrong thing to do) but it results in this tiff:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1493706/SFW_4384.tif

This tiff actually completed a scanin run but the diag.tif looks totally
bogus:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1493706/diag.tif

I'm trying to follow the instructions here:
http://www.russellcottrell.com/photo/LinuxWorkflow.htm as they seem to make
complete sense. But I'm just not getting there....

~Brett

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 1:04 AM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Brett Howard wrote:

Hi,

I've tried a million different ways to generate the TIFF file but can't get
scanin to read it properly.

First hint is when I hit "download" - your file is too big!

But it is also badly exposed, and it needs to be roughly cropped.

So when I:

* Roughly crop it
* Adjust it so that the white patch is closer to 255 (you should really
re-shoot)
* Resize the height to 1500

scanin works fine.

Best regards,