[argyllcms] Confused with PS, softproofing and monitor profile intents

  • From: Vallo Kallaste <kalts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 13:18:27 +0200

Hi

Firstly i'm amused by the fact that Xrite profiling software which
comes with Colormunki, creates RGB-TRC (gamma) based profile with
Perceptual intent. As far as I understand it's nonsense, because
this is what cLUT profiles are for. Next I tried to think what
happens when softproofing for printing in Photoshop and got stuck.
Can somebody enlighten me what happens behind the scenes in the PS
when one softproofs for specific printer-paper profile?
First case would be with matrix monitor profile, with only rel.
colorimetric intent.
Second case would be with cLUT monitor profile, containing also
perceptual intent. Source images are in ProPhotoRGB space and the
cLUT monitor profile has been made with 'colprof -S ProPhoto.icc
...'. Printer profile is manufacturer canned one, not that it
matters.
How are all the profiles and intents interacting? Is PS creating
device link profiles on the fly, considering also source image
gamut?

thanks,
--
Vallo