[argyllcms] Re: Best way to proceed?

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 12:13:50 +0200

Ben Goren wrote:
Does the i1 itself average the reading of everything that makes it through its aperture?

Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
That I don't know. My gut feeling is that it must do to *some* extent, to cope with halftoned patches. How much this is centre-weighted, I don't know, though.

One way to find out more about it could be spot readings of a siemens star. One could determine the spatial resolution of the i1 this way. I guess it integrates reasonably well over the aperture area.

You can also compare wood measurements taken in close proximity to get a sense of the variances.

the presence of paper in the scene, especially if it's bright white, is likely to have a subtle effect on the camera's response

Alastair is right IMHO: as far as my experience goes, the irradiation of the surrounding area can affect the results strongly. I'd recommend using black paper or attending Alastair's suggestion.

Klaus Karcher