[argyllcms] Re: Best way to proceed?

  • From: Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 22:58:55 +0200

Ben Goren wrote:
On 2008 Jun 1, at 3:13 AM, Klaus Karcher wrote:

You can also compare wood measurements taken in close proximity to get a sense of the variances.

I tried that this morning, too. Even a millimeter made a significant difference, especially on oak. Indeed, the variation in sample location is almost enough for different woods to have an overlapping range of Lab values....

Ok -- I think there's nothing else for it but to take a large number of measurements for each kind of wood and average them to get an indication for the "mean" color. As the lightness varies very much with the angle, the a/b coordinates are more meaningful. You can also draw the a/b values of all your readings in a scatterplot and look for marked-off "clouds" for different kinds of wood.

BTW: the i1 uses 45/0° geometry (illumination at 45 degrees to the sample's normal and measurement on the sample's normal). Even though the illumination should be approximately circular, it's a good idea to rotate the sample or measurement device amongst the measurements to get better averages.

Klaus