[argyllcms] Re: B&W printing

  • From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreauyves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 07:56:53 -0400

Thanks Alan,

very good, I just want to improve as much as possible my black and white on the Pro-1000. I'll also create some abstract profile to do custom toning effect a bit later.

I have an Epson 1430 with a set of Piezography K6 neutral inks. Unfortunately for me, I have paper feed problems and I can't get it print correctly for now, I think it spit way to much ink.

For now, I'm just trying to get the best result I can from my Canon.

Thanks again,

Yves

On 9/17/2021 7:07 AM, Alan Goldhammer (agoldhammer) wrote:

Yes, this tool works exceptionally well.  I used it to recreate profiles for the Epson B/W print feature on my old 3880.  The problem with almost all RBG printers is that they use small amounts of colored ink to maintain neutrality.  Both Epson and Canon (I am not familiar with the HP pro printers) have dedicated drivers for B/W printing that reduces the amount of colored ink and offers other types of toning controls.  If you want to use the regular print driver for B/W printing you can add B/W patches to the Argyll set that will help linearize the response.  For my Canon Pro 1000, I routinely add 51 step B/W patch set for this purpose.  It seems to give me good results when printing B/W images.

For best B/W printing, one is better served by using a dedicated set of carbon black inks with a printer that will only be used for B/W work.

Alan