[argyllcms] AW: Re: How do I examine a V4 icc profile and related questions.

  • From: "Vladimir Gajic" <vgajic67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 09:35:47 +0200

Hello @all

I &nbsp;use Brillant Satin Matte Natural paper on various printers like Epson
x900 and Canon 6700d. The results are very good, all profiles are build using
the argyll standard procedure (targen, printcal, colprof).&nbsp;
With Epson printers I had no problems at all (I build profiles for PC and Mac).
My Canon printer had some problems on the Mac. It was not possible to generate
a good printer calibration with the vendors driver. I solved the problem using
Guttenprint.

If you need further hints contact me.
Cheers
Vladimir

PS. I also used Brillant Silver White Paper. Also a very good choice, less
problematic for profiling.&nbsp;

-- Gesendet von meinem Palm Pre
edmund ronald &lt;edmundronald@xxxxxxxxx&gt; schrieb am 09.06.2011 07:25:

Here is the Brilliant paper site:
http://brilliantpaper.com/
You can find ICC profiles there. There are some remarks on the net that say
that some of the profiles may not be very good.

By the way, as I need to test media at the moment, I will make a profile for
any printer for any person who sends me a box of the media with the target in -
not exactly a free profile but pretty close :)

Edmund

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Leonard Evens
&lt;len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt; wrote:

On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 16:35 -0500, Leonard Evens wrote:

&gt; Last August I purchased an Epson 3880 printer at Calumet Photo in

&gt; Chciago.. &nbsp;The next day while cycling I suffered a traumatic brain

&gt; injury, so it was some time before I got to using the printer. &nbsp;I

&gt; started by making some prints with Epson PPPG paper using Photoshop

&gt; under Windows. &nbsp;I then made a profile for PPPG paper under Linux using

&gt; argyllcms and made some prints using that, printing with Photoprint.

&gt;

&gt; I now want to make large prints. &nbsp;At the time I bought the printer, I

&gt; bought, on the recommendation of the salesman at Calumet, some Brilliant

&gt; Paper, which, I think, is Calumet's store brand. &nbsp;I just went to their

&gt; website and tried to download the right "PC" icc profile. &nbsp;But I got a

&gt; zip file including three profiles and I don't know which to use. &nbsp;I've

&gt; sent them some email to find out. &nbsp;But in the meantime, I would like

&gt; examine the three profiles. &nbsp;iccdump can't handle V4 &nbsp;profiles.
&nbsp;Is

&gt; there something else I can use?

&gt;

&gt; Also, if I understand correctly, using Photoshop, if I specify the

&gt; paper, I can let the printer software handle everything and get

&gt; reasonable results. &nbsp;But that software won't know about Brilliant
paper.

&gt; I have a postit stuck to the package saying something about using Epson

&gt; Semi gloss profiles, &nbsp;which reflects something the salesman told me.

&gt; But, although I've recovered almost completely from the traumatic brain

&gt; injury, &nbsp;I still remember little of what happened about that time.
&nbsp;Can

&gt; anyone conjecture about what that might mean?

Sorry for the typo in the subject line.

--

Leonard Evens len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University