[arachne] Re: PTS DOS 2000 Pro

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:01:13 -0400

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 09:22 +0930, Greg Mayman wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:00:26 -0400, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:
>
> > The company that produced it also makes an impressive DOS emulator
> > for handheld Windows CE machines.  The program is named XTCE.  I bought
> > that one several years ago.  Works great for making your palmtop Windows
> > CE machine emulate a two-floppy XT machine!
>
> Hey, that's terrific!
>
> But how good is that emulation?
>
> I have a heap of single-density single-sided 5-1/4 inch floppies that
> I'd like to be able to get the data from, but since my Amstrad
> twin-floppy PC died, I haven't been able to read them on anything.
>
> Regards from Greg Mayman in Adelaide, South Australia
>         35d 01'44" S  138d 32'13" E

The emulation with XTCE is really good in that you can pretend that you
are running an XT machine with two floppy drives, A: and B:.  Whether
you want to pretend to be using DSDD 5.25" floppies or HD 1.2 MB
5.25" floppies or 720K or 1.44 MB 3.5" inch floppies is user-selectable.
As a bonus you can even pretend to have a hard drive C:, and you can
C:\DOS\RUN.  The downside is that you first have to upload your DOS
stuff to a Windows machine and then download it to your palmtop Windows
CE device by using your serial data cable and your connectivity
software.

Sam Heywood, at 38d 44' 19" N  78d 48' 27" W, I reckon.

-- Message originated by Evolution 2.10,
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/
-- Windows dwarfs may evolve from here:
http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/