[arachne] JS (workaround?)

  • From: "Bastiaan Edelman" <bastiaan.pa3ffz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:43:42 +100

Hi All,

A year ago my provider stopped the telephone services and forced to DSL
services only. Bad thing for Arachne because the router/modem could only
made to connect to the internet with JavaScript :-(

Trials to intercept the strings sent from windows to the modem failed.
That would enable Arachne to connect...

After a few months and many experiments the documentation of the modem,
found on the internet, showed a way to overcome JS.
The modem could be suplied of commands to connect/disconnect by
(DOS-like?) commands fed by telnet to the modem.

Telnet can be used in Arachne and handel a script to 'play' the wanted
commands.

Here is that script:

flags debug
timeout 60
telnet 192.168.1.254
lookfor "Username :"
flags nocase
write "Administrator\r\n"
lookfor "{Administrator}=>"
write "ppp\r\n"
lookfor "{Administrator}[ppp]=>"
write "ifattach intf=Internet\r\n"
lookfor "{Administrator}[ppp]=>"
write "exit\r\n"

(this workaround came to light with help of glennmcc and my friend
Dennis)

Perhaps this is not a solution for Arachne to send out JS commands,
it might be I am lucky that the modem not just talks JS...

************************************

Is there a list somewhere to know what JS commands are supposed to do
what with the computer?
So we could undertake the job to convert JS-comands (JS-language)
into DOS?
Long ago I made a program to convert the output from the WordStar
editor to inkjet printers... using a combination of DOS and BASIC
language. This program is still in use although many printers passed
my workroom.
This was only possible by the good documentation of the printer...
that was normal at that time to supply good documentation.

So it seems to me that good documentation of JS is essential to have
JS in DOS.

Regards, Bastiaan

This mail is composed and sent by the Arachne Browser for DOS.

This is Arachne A4D version...

-- Arachne;A4e;1q:20