[arachne] Re: ...end of life for Arachne

  • From: "Udo Kuhnt" <048321887-0001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 16:53:24 +0000

From: "Ron Clarke" <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>

>   But I don't believe for one second that this is the end of Arachne
> development. There is still too much to do, and always will be, but we
> are also short an extra coder (or two).  I code, but not in C, so I work
> around the edges, too.

One could argue that development of Arachne has in fact ended many
years ago. Can you remember the last major enhancement of Arachne,
i.e. no bug fix, minor/cosmetic change, change of parameters, etc?

The lack of coders has plagued Arachne for quite a long time, but now
it has become obvious. What Arachne really needs is not simply an
extra coder or two but one who has enough spare time and who is
willing to devote a lot of it to improving Arachne.

Unfortunately, talented coders seem to flock together, meaning that
they shun projects with lots of work to do for small gains.

I am afraid that donating money for hiring programmers is probably the
best option we currently have. *If* decisive progress is being made on
Arachne, then and only then some volunteers might be attracted by this
project again.

Regards,

Udo

-- The DR-DOS/OpenDOS Enhancement Project - http://www.drdosprojects.de