[antispam-f] Re: The enabling variable PPP$Connected

  • From: John Williams <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 10:20:42 +0000 (GMT)

In article <4f4e657361antispam@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Frank de Bruijn <antispam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > This action is significantly different from that described for the
> > NewsHound and POPstar tests.

> Actually, only the POPstar docs are clear on that. I can't find anything
> in NewsHound's manual about the PPP$Connected variable.

But it does work as I describe.

> > However, I have just waited past my set auto-repeat time with the
> > value set to zero, and nothing has happened.

> In that case the application log should have a line 'Connection variable
> test failed' at that time. Does it?

Sorry - rigorous log resetting in operation

> > I tried it a second time, and it did download.

> > So, which is it?

 [Snip]

> The code suggests that the entry in the manual is correct: the variable
> must exist (i.e. must be non-empty) and the value it has shouldn't
> matter.

> > If it literally is 'exists', might it be better to be 'is true' in
> > line with the other apps? Is there a reason why not?

> No reason. This is how it was originally and I never changed it.

> Changing it would be fairly easy. But I wonder if that wouldn't break
> things for other users.

An choices option radio icon to switch between the two behaviours, then?

Though I can't see that testing for a zero value and making it equivalent
to the null is going to break a lot. One might think the consistency more
important.

It doesn't really matter to me - I can change how I have my launcher set-up
quite easily. I just thought that being consistent with NewsHound/POPstar
might be helpful for any new users.

John

--
||       John Williams         ||     Brittany, Northern France
         Who is John Williams? http://www.picindex.info/author/
 E-mail replies only accepted from RISC OS machines or RISC in subject line
Somewhere nice to stay in Brittany? http://petit.four.free.fr/visitors/locate