[antispam-f] Re: The enabling variable PPP$Connected

  • From: Frank de Bruijn <antispam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 09:14:40 +0100

In article <4f4e14345blists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   John Williams <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I note that NewsHound and POPstar test the variable PPP$Connected to
> see if its value corresponds to TRUE. They do not autorun if the
> variable is set to a FALSE value of zero.

> The AntiSpam choices offers 'Only if PPP$Connected exists'.

> The Help suggests that this is literally true - if the variable
> exists, the automated repeating action will run /whatever value it is
> set to/.

Indeed.

> This action is significantly different from that described for the
> NewsHound and POPstar tests.

Actually, only the POPstar docs are clear on that. I can't find anything
in NewsHound's manual about the PPP$Connected variable.

> However, I have just waited past my set auto-repeat time with the
> value set to zero, and nothing has happened.

In that case the application log should have a line 'Connection variable
test failed' at that time. Does it?

> I tried it a second time, and it did download.

> So, which is it, a null value or a zero value, or does AntiSpam
> interpret a zero value as equivalent to a null value, in which case
> the Help needs to specify non-zero, and the template becomes
> ambiguous?

The code suggests that the entry in the manual is correct: the variable
must exist (i.e. must be non-empty) and the value it has shouldn't
matter.

> If it literally is 'exists', might it be better to be 'is true' in
> line with the other apps? Is there a reason why not?

No reason. This is how it was originally and I never changed it.

Changing it would be fairly easy. But I wonder if that wouldn't break
things for other users.

Any comments, anyone?

Regards,
Frank