[analogorgans] Re: analogorgans Digest V3 #36

  • From: "Thomas W. Nelson" <twnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:11:26 -0400

Just as another data point for the group, I use Behringer VIrtualizers on my Rodgers 660 vs. a straight reverb unit like the Alesis. They have various room modeling features that go far beyond simple reverb (kind of a poor-man's Rodgers RSS), and I find the ability to manipulate the sound field across the two channels per unit makes the organ sound like it's in a much bigger space than my 16x24 living room. Jean has heard my setup last time he was at my house.

I simply insert the Virtualizers in the line-level feeds between the output panel and the amp inputs. I've selected the appropriate channels on the organ for each unit's channel pair so that I can 'spread' the sound proportionally across the speakers for both channels, which are placed on opposite sides of the room end wall. Each channel/division still maintains a dominant location in the room via it's primary speakers, but a small amount also appears in the other channel's speakers, making the sound field for that channel much broader that it would be otherwise.

As I add more salvaged Rodgers racks to the 660 over the next year to de-unify it somewhat, I'll also add more channels in the same manner.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Tom Nelson
Milford, NH