[amc] a request form the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 10:14:47 -0600

I pray your Advent journey is engaging and inspiring.

Yesterday we continued our present practice of celebrating communion on the fist Sunday of each month. However, rather than including this observance in the morning worship service as we have always done in the past, we incorporated it into our community meal time.

I am asking that you please reflect on your assessment of this practice for a few days and then respond sometime thereafter to the questions below. For persons present for this experience, perhaps you will consider the following questions: How did it 'feel' to you to share the bread and wine with persons at your table? What kinds of things were you prompted to 'think' as you participated in and observed the communion process with persons at your table and with others in the room? How did this experience differ from the sensations you notice when we share communion during the worship service?

For persons who were not present for this particular occasion, perhaps you will consider the following questions: How does it 'sound' to you that we would incorporate communion into our community meal? What kinds of issues arise for you when you think about participating in a community meal during which communion is served?

And for everyone, please indicate whether or not you would support another occasion when communion is celebrated during the community meal, how the process might be made more meaningful, when it would be beneficial, and how often.

Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts about this with me. And, for those of you who were present, thank you for being willing to participate in this experience.