[amc] Re: a request form the pastor

  • From: Micheal McEvoy <micheal.mcevoy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 13:51:01 -0600

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 10:14 -0600, Garland Robertson wrote:
> Members and Friends of Austin Mennonite Church
> <snip>

> For persons who were not  present for this particular occasion, perhaps
> you will consider the following questions:
> How does it 'sound' to you that we would incorporate communion into our
> community meal?
> What kinds of issues arise for you when you think about participating in
> a community meal during which communion is served?

For quite some time I have felt that communion is more than just a
"wafer and a sip of wine", that it was suppose to be breaking of bread
among believers.

I recently finished reading Yoder's "Body Politics: Five Practices of
the Christian Community Before the Watching World".  He devotes the 2d
chapter to the breaking of bread together.  He wrote, on page 20, "It is
that bread is daily sustanance.  Bread eaten together is economic
sharing."  Sharing is an open act of discipleship, in which all
followers are of equal status, and act in servanthood to each other.

I hope all is well with everyone.
May God keep and bless everyone.

Micheal
--
Micheal McEvoy
Comanche, Texas

He hath shewn thee, O man, what is good:
and what doth Jehovah require of thee,
but to do justly, and to love goodness,
and to walk humbly with thy God?

Micah 6:8 (Darby Translation)