[amc] MDS Update: December 19, 2013

  • From: Lee Lever <leelever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AustinMC freelists <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:55:41 -0600

FYI

Lee Lever, PastorAustin Mennonite Church

Subject: MDS Update: December 19, 2013
From: eCommunications@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: leelever@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 13:51:58 +0000

    This is the MDS Update for December 19, 2013

MDS wishes you joy this Christmas season in celebrating Emmanuel, God with us.
Please continue to remember those affected by disasters, who are not in their
homes for Christmas.

CURRENT NEEDS
Crew leaders are needed in Far Rockaway, High River and Sayreville for January
and February. Terms shorter than one month will be considered on a case by case
basis.
Cooks are needed in Bastrop, TX, Jan. 2 - 18.
RV Projects: There are openings in Hattiesburg, MS, for January and February.
Short-term volunteers needed in High River, Alberta, beginning Jan. 13.
There are a few weeks still open for short-term groups in February at various
locations.

For information about week-long volunteer opportunities call (800) 241-8111 or
e-mail cruntz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. For long-term volunteer opportunities (one
month or longer), in the US call (800) 241-8111 or e-mail
syoder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, in Canada call (866) 261-1274 or e-mail
epetersrojas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
 Mennonite Disaster Service is seeking a part-time Receptionist/Administrative
Assistant (30-35 hrs). Duties include, but are not limited to, front desk
receptionist and administrative support for the MDS Binational office in
Lititz, PA. Knowledge of Microsoft Office required and knowledge of basic
accounting principles a plus. Applicants must be active in an Anabaptist church
and committed to the Anabaptist faith and peace position.

 For the full job description check the MDS website. Resumes may be sent to
job@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or MDS, Attn: Human Resources, 583 Airport Rd, Lititz, PA
17543. Review of resumes begins immediately. Recruitment continues until the
position is filled.

REGISTER NOW FOR ALL-UNIT MEETING
Come join us for fellowship, information and renewal at the 2014 Annual
All-Unit Meeting in Bakersfield, CA, Friday and Saturday, February 7 - 8, 2014.
Network and meet with MDS staff and volunteers from the US and Canada. Find
information and registration on the MDS website or in the December issue of
Behind the Hammer.

 BASTROP, TEXAS
Disaster: 2011 Wildfires
 Our fall season was extended a few days for a “roofing blitz.” A five-man crew
completed four roofs in three days. In January we will pour foundations for two
more houses and begin the framing on two other foundations that are ready. It
was an amazing beginning despite some weeks with few volunteers and lost days
because of weather.

BASTROP, TEXAS: RV PROJECT
Disaster: 2011 Wildfires
The Bastrop RV program will reopen on Jan. 5, 2014.

BRAITHWAITE, LOUISIANA
Disaster: 2012 Hurricane Isaac
Alfred, Dorothy, Vernon and Shirley had a long drive every day to Ms.
Priscilla's house. Her mobile home needed numerous repairs. They were able to
build new front steps with a landing, as well as a back door landing and steps,
and insulated and installed new paneling on one wall and secured a window.

CRISFIELD, MARYLAND
 Disaster: 2012 Hurricane Sandy
 The Crisfield project will reopen on Jan. 5, 2014.

FAR ROCKAWAY, NEW YORK
 Disaster: 2012 Hurricane Sandy
 The MDS team at Far Rockaway has closed seven jobs in the last two weeks, and
started six more! These numbers reflect the nature of our work here. Repairs
are often on small homes and only on one floor, or one section of a home. There
are many challenges to these jobs, but lots of huge rewards in the gratitude of
the homeowners.

HATTIESBURG, MISSISSIPPI
Disaster: 2013 Tornado
This week, as we closed out the fall project, we added a small room to Ms.
Emma's house so she has a place to put a washer and dryer. We also repaired the
kitchen and bathroom floor and put down new flooring.

HIGH RIVER, ALBERTA
 Disaster: 2013 Flood
 We are pleased to have the MDS site in High River, Alberta, up and running.
MDS volunteers have had the opportunity to be involved in two homes the last
two months. The first house belongs to Ms. Kayleigh and her mother. The house
had been flooded and serious mold had set in. The second house is home to a
family. The first floor of their home was destroyed by the flood.

Click here to view photos of the High River project on Facebook.

MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA
 Disaster: 2011 Floods
 We had a big group of volunteers the last two weeks and were able to finish
work on several homes. With the Minot project closing down, meaningful services
of appreciation were held at the United Church of Christ and at the Bible
Fellowship Church.

SHAWNEE, OKLAHOMA
Disaster: 2013 Tornados
What a wonderful last week we had before the project shut down for the
Christmas holidays. It continues to be amazing how each week our volunteers
come from so many different places, ages, and backgrounds to make a difference
here in Oklahoma. Insulation was installed in Mr. Charles’ home. A re-roof job
was completed for Ms. Misty’s mobile home. Storage sheds were constructed for
Ms. Cindy and Ms. Kathy’s homes. Ms. Pat’s well was enclosed and a problem with
the pressure tank was fixed.

STATEN ISLAND, NEW YORK
 Disaster: 2012 Hurricane Sandy
We had a productive week with a small group of volunteers. Eight jobs cards
were signed off this week (some of which had been completed earlier), two house
dedications (Ms. Laurie and Ms. Blair), and we welcomed a guest speaker, Ms.
Thea. Our six short-term volunteers along with six long-term volunteers, split
up into four groups completing work at the homes of Ms. Rosemarie, Mr. Billy,
Ms. Concetta, Mr. Cartwright, Mr. Keith, and Ms. Suzanne. Flooring, drywall,
mudding, framing, plumbing, and finish work was performed to complete these
jobs before we close for the holidays.

Contributions may be sent to:
 USA: 583 Airport Road, Lititz, PA 17543 or
 Can.: 6A-1325 Markham Rd, Winnipeg, MB R3T 4J6
 Donate online
 Tel: USA (800) 241-8111 Can. (866) 261-1274

Remember the variety of ways you can give to MDS – volunteer your time, give
money through cash donations, planned gifts, bequests and traded securities.

 Call our office to learn more details.

Follow Us On Facebook: You can now receive timely MDS project updates when you
"Like" us on Facebook: Mennonite Disaster Service

    If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may
    see it online.

 Share This:

                                583 Airport Road | Lititz, PA 17543 US

This email was sent to leelever@xxxxxxxxxxx.

    To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

    manage your preferences |
    opt out using TrueRemove®.