[amc] FW: Peace Pieces

  • From: "Kathy Reid" <Kathy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:59:03 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathy Goering [mailto:kathyg@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 12:30 PM
To: Kathy Goering
Subject: Fw: Peace Pieces

To Western District Conferences Pastors from Peace and Social Concerns
Committee
From: Boomerduan@xxxxxxx

Peace Pieces

"Peace Pieces" is an effort by Western District Conference's Peace and
Social Concerns Committee to periodically provide WDC congregations with
short, timely peace statements in order to support, inspire and challenge
each other to live according to principles of nonviolence.

***

* Carter quotes Ralph Bunche, the American mediator who won the Nobel Peace
Prize in 1950, in his speech:  "To suggest that war can prevent war is a
base play on words and a despicable form of warmongering." -- Jimmy Carter
quoting Ralph Bunche

* "Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that
anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides nd hurricanes
he will encounter. The Statesman who yields to war fever must realize that
once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave
of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events."
-- Winston Churchill. My Early Life: A Roving Commission, 1930

* "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has
seen its brutality, its futility, and its stupidity." -- Dwight D.
Eisenhower

***

We invite others to suggest quotes for inclusion in Peace Pieces. Please
send suggestions to Duane Johnson, emerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
wdc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx