[amayausers] Re: puckering & decreasing design density

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 16:55:20 -0600

Hi Sandra,

 I just want to add that Terri is right on with what she is telling you.
After you click Apply or OK, the number will go back to 100% as this is just
an adjustment figure that sets the value to adjust by. Do as Terri suggests
and look at the Status TAB and the total number of stitches and you will see
it changes.

 Also, Density is one of the adjustments that will confuse you if you do not
understand it 100%. The larger the number, the less density in a design or
fewer amount of stitches. IE: a 3 density produces more stitches than a 4
density. The numbers stand for a distance between stitch lines of stitches
in a fill. The closer the lines of stitches, the more stitches you will
have. The smaller the distance between lines of stitches, the more lines of
stitches fit in the same object. So, when using the scale TAB to make
density changes, you want to go up in the percentage to make fewer stitches
as this increases the distance between lines of stitches. Set it to 110% and
this will make a density setting of 3.5 go to 3.9. The higher the number the
fewer stitches produced, thus making the density lower.

 Also, just a thought about changing the density for an entire design.
Perhaps not all areas need changing. For example, the design you are
referring to uses a fill which is the ground the squirrel is on, and the
density of it is 12. This density will change as well when changing the
entire design, which is going to make it look different. The lines of
stitches will be further apart. Also, other fills such as the eye, which
only has 15 stitches in it to begin with, may make it not show up as well
with fewer stitches? The body areas of the squirrel have a density of 3.5
which is probably too much for the lighter garment you are sewing on and is
probably what is causing the puckering. With that said, try changing the
density on the entire design, sew it and see if it still looks right, and if
so go with it. If it changes some areas too much, then you may need to
change density on only the areas with high stitch counts.

 As a general rule, most people find Dakota designs use a density setting
that is pretty dense. On most light garments the density can be lowered so
there are fewer stitches and it sews better and looks better on lighter
garments.

 Sincerely,
 Jeff Banks
 Melco Embroidery Systems