[amayausers.com] Re: embroidering on golf bag

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 17:15:01 UT

This message was posted by Shuffletown Embroidery on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO
NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by clicking
here: http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/577.html#000004

Hi all,
I wanted to update everyone on how I did with the golf tour bag. This bag has
hard sides and is very large. The area being embroidered is a pocket flap with
a very fine woven surface that looks like leather and is lined with foam.
Spacing - slightly denser than normal; underlay - edge walk and double zigzag;
font - Arial rounded; presser foot 2 clicks from the top; machine speed - I
didn't go any higher than 600 spm; hoop - large Slim Line clamp 8X8

Design prep - I digitized the lettering to minimize frame movement and I put a
color stop between line breaks so that I could put a stop in the sewout. This
gave me a comfort level that I would be able to stop the machine if there was a
problem when the frame shifted to the new line.

Tricks:
1. Removed the sewing table.
2. Set up a Work Mate to support the bag in front of the machine.
3. Placed a 1/4" X 24"x24" sheet of plywood on the workmate. Used 1X4's to shim
this up to the proper sewing height.
4. Placed a Handi-Quilter machine holder gizmo on the plywood, balanced the
golf bag on it, and adjusted the handi-quilter so that it wouldn't hit anything
during the sewing process.
5. Hooped the golf bag and did a test by advancing through the design to see
how everything worked. I had to adjust the placement of the handi-quilter
apparatus a little bit.

To think that I was about to sell my hobbyist Handi-Quilter!!! Now it's an
embroidery tool.  :)  I didn't even have to hold the bag!!!

For those of you who don't know what the handi-quilter thing is, it's two
platforms on wheels; one sits on top of the other with the wheels of each table
at 90-degree angles to the other. They hold a sewing machine and allow it to
easily move back and forth and to and fro. That's exactly how it worked with
the golf bag!

Many, many thanks to Karen Torluemke in Kansas for talking through the issues
with me and giving me the courage I needed to go for it. Now I have a new
customer with a lot of golf buddies!

Oh, Curtis, I'd take a 50 bag order now.  :)

Mary