[amayausers.com] Re: Rayon vs. Poly thread?

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 14:32:23 UT

This message was posted by edr on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/1451.html#000003

Hi MJ,

I loosen the bobbin tension almost to the point where I would get false bobbin
break messages from Amaya OS.  This allows me to use all these thread types
including Isacord with little or no thread breaks, at up to 1,500 spm.  I
didn't buy my Amaya XT to use only one type of thread!  Let Amaya's OS adjust
the top tension automatically (one reason I chose Amaya XT over the other
brands).  My technician could not believe that I was using all these types of
threads on my Amaya XT until he saw what I was doing.

Because Melco recommended it for the Amaya, I used to use Coats Trusew V15
cardboard sided bobbins, but then I would remove the cardboard side that goes
into the bobbin case to minimize the gunk residue that it would deposit under
the tension plate.  I'd still have to get a business card and slide some gunk
from under the tension plate from time to time.

So when my Coats bobbins ran out, I almost ordered another box but thought I'd
give the Allstitch cardboard sided bobbins at less than half the price
http://www.allstitch.net/product/allstitch-cardboard-sided-embroidery-bobbins-size-l-white-1245.cfm.
  They have 7 yards less of thread per bobbin (7 x 144 bobbins = 1,008 less
yards per box), but what the hey.  I still remove one of the cardboard sides
(habit), but I have had little or no gunk residue with these bobbins and they
work great.  I'm sold!

I've had a box of the Fil-Tec Magna-Glide bobbins for 2 years now and looking
at the empty cores I put in the box, I've used less than 5.  Despite the
claims, I've had more thread breaks with these bobbins, and they are more
expensive. They don't seem to work well with a variety of threads. However, my
technician swears by them and put one in my bobbin case.  After it was out, I
readjusted the bobbin tension and replaced it with an Allstitch bobbin.

Cheers,
Ed "Kanga" Roux