[amayausers] Re: Questions on caps

  • From: "Sales staff" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:44:33 -0700

Cap backs are ten times easier than those dang fronts!
the trick is to use a regular hoop
we use a 12cm but you can use a 9cm also
you need a piece of wood hooked to a table or anything where you can get
the hoop flat and let the hat hang down below.
I am a screenprinter also and we use the neck of the printing platens (shirt
boards)
I hoop it about half way and not super tight
the biggest issue is to try hard to get the center seam straight.
we use the same method for flexfits but it's more difficult with the extra bulk
of the sweatband.
if the cap is hooped loosely enough when you put in the machine you can grasp
the bottom ring of
the hoop and carefully rotate it so the center seam is at a 90 degree angle
with the thread grabber
this gives us the easiest reference point to get things straight.
Make sure you flip your design when you load it so that it sews upside down.
when we build our lettering we use a odd program called fantastic fonts
but the setting for the arc is a 3.5" diameter. and it fits pretty well.
another trick with arced lettering is remembering that the trace feature
is going to trace a straight line from the bottom most 2 corners of the
lettering
which if your watching carefully, will look like it may sew over the seam the
trick is to watch the top
of the lettering and know how big it is. we don't go  above .4" most of the
time if needed put in a straight pin
at the point where you want the top of the lettering to be (top meaning the
closest top you looking into the machine
which will be towards the top of the hat once it's out of the machine)
move the hoop until the laser trace hits the top of it's path on your mark and
your ready to go.
I set ours at around 4 to 5 material thickness  and speeds in the 600s or so.
you'll be surprised how easy it is. and for simple names we don't use backing
either.
Try it and let us know how it worked or what I missed in the instruction end.
Good Luck

Sincerely,  Ron Vinyard
Owner, Graphic Designer, digitizer

Body Cover Design Screenprinting
Magic Stitches Embroidery

420  S.W. "H" Street
Grants Pass, OR  97526-2532  USA

www.bodycoverdesign.com
1-888-435-0176 Toll Free
1-541-471-1504 Local
1-541-471-0427 Fax

All outgoing e-mail certified Virus-Free
by Norton Internet Security 2004
updated weekly.