[amayausers] Re: Presser Foot Height

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:31:54 -0600

Roland,
        It seems that only until one experiences what you and the wife have gone
thru does one appreciate the complexity and headaches of this industry.  I
too experience exactly what you've just described roughly three years ago.
What I immediately did to prevent that from happening again what created a
large sign with a sheet of paper and a Sharpie that says simply says
"Presser Foot" in big letters.  I put this sign in the original shipping box
that the cap frame driver was shipped in - since it's lined with foam
rubber.  This is where we store our driver when not in use- like most folks.
Hence, when I go to put the driver back in it's box, and since I can't help
but see my sign, I then immediately lower the presser foot before the phone
rings, nature calls, or anything else that would be distracting comes about.
        I have shared this experience and solution with just about every
customer I
have personally visited when the subject is discussed.  And yet I still get
calls from customers who wind up experiencing the same thing simply because
they had not created a sign or reminder for themselves.  Maybe now I will
put that on my "to do" list for all customers I see in the future.
        The presser foot seems to be located in a spot where it's not easily
seen
and hence is sometimes overlooked or forgotten to be checked.  Melco's
solution for this "snaffoo" was to put a window prompt in the software that
pops up when you change from the cap frame drivers to any other hoop.  When
switching over to a tubular hoop, it tells you to remember to 1)lower your
material thickness, 2)lower your presser foot, and 3) the bobbin detector
has automatically been turned back on for you.  Reason #3 is there because
not too long ago you had to remember to turn your bobbin detector setting to
"OFF" when sewing hats.  Now it's automatically done for you.  If you ask
me, I think that reminder pop up window should be much, much bigger.  That's
what I think.
        Thanks for sharing your information.
Ed