[amayausers.com] Re: Networking business services....

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:05:26 UT

This message was posted by Mr. Sew & Sew on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/11/35.html#000001

OK Roland - I bought a tanning salon in Central NJ last summer. I can take all
your clients that want to come to NJ to tan!!

Seriously folks - the economy is rough and I think just pushing ahead and
providing good service and value goes a long way in this environment.  Plus,
other businesses are hurting a lot more than they let on.  I bought the tanning
salon Aug 1 last year and every month since, sales have been about 15% below
the prior year.  A couple of months I didn't make enough to cover the bills,
but I had assumed it would be slow for a while.

Then, on New Years Eve, the Hollywood Tans 1/4 mile from me closed up and went
out of business with no warning.  I put some signs up and offered discounts to
his customers and now January is running 35% above last year! I had to hire a
5th employee to help with the busines.  I'm the only tanning salon in a 6 mile
radius now.

Sure, it was partly luck, but my point is I continued to run specials and
discount prices last year and never gave the impression to my customers that I
was hurting  which helped bring in some new customers and got others to stay.
I don't suggest slashing prices to win business but Roland has a point in
finding out what your customer wants in total and being able to provide it.

just my 2 cents
Tom