[amayausers] Re: Monogram proportions?

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:06:39 -0500

In engraving, I visualize either a rectangle, circle, or oval. If you start
with an oval first-make it about 3" wide by 2" wide (engraving would be a
lot smaller but this is easier to see my analogy)
Your center letter (the last name initial) would fit in the middle-the
tallest letter. The first and middle initial go on the sides-and those would
scale down to fit inside that imaginary border. They would be about 2" high
for the center, and 1 1/4" high for the sides. This is only an estimate-it
depends a lot on what font you use and if it is cursive or italic. Use your
'artistic judgement' as to what looks good. In the melco fonts, you have 3
letter circle, 3 letter diamond, 3 letter octagon, 3 letter point, & 3
letter seal to work with, but I found these to be too 'tight' and
narrow-create my own with the script fonts and my rough 'scale'.  For
embroidery, you need to scale the size to fit the item-a scarf we just did
for christmas I had the center letter at 2", but for a shirt pocket or
something you would only want 1" maximum.
For straight up fonts, no 'curve' to the monogram-you visualize the
rectangle, make your center letter fill the center, and the outside letters
2/3 to 3/4 of the same height, but scale them-so they are also narrower.
Don't just squish them-do it to scale. Then alter the size until it looks
good!
I saved the monograms we've done with a sewout sample, so I can go back in
and just change the letters (one by one) for the next job and retain the
size and scale.
What I have seen on someone's sweater was a beautiful cursive letter-with an
inlaid contrast color-all embroidered-and it was beautiful-and haven't
figured out how to do it easily and fast yet-no font that I found that has
the inline fill.

Roland

From: "image embriodery" <imageembroidery@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:25:41 -0500
To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [amayausers] Monogram proportions?

What is the correct proportions for a three letter monogam?

LuAnn @ Image Embroidery
Because Your "Image" Matters