[amayausers] Re: Lord of the rings - My experience

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:30:34 -0600

Roland,

Does this all not depend on the type licensing? Many of the Copywrited type of items have contracts that give exclusive rights to certain vendors and these vendors protect these rights to the hilt as they pay money for these rights. As you have no idea what the licensing is for this item, you have no idea how vigorous it may be protected. As I stated before, you may not even end up in court, but just the cost of legal counsel or representation to reply to some of the letters, or look into what is what can exceed any profits you would get for doing a hat and a couple of shirts. And now that it is known on the Internet you may be doing it, hmmm, why would you even put yourself in jeopardy for such a small order? Chances are you are not going to have anything happen, but is it worth the gamble?

You sound just like my significant other who has always scoffed at the law to wear seat belts saying "it should be her choice." Not that I disagree with that thought, but the thought is not worth a $50.00 fine for something so trivial. She has gotten away with it for years, and last week she finally got stopped and ticketed. Now she is going to pay $$$ for her choice. The funny part is that she is always reminding our daughter about it as well. I can tell you, she still has not heard the end of it from her! LOL Sooner or later it comes back. ;)

There is a very well known embroidery design company out of San Diego, CA. that gives seminars about this topic. If you think that you cannot get caught in something very trivial, I suggest you write them and ask. There is a reason they give seminars on the topic!

Another lady I am familiar with who is a member of a couple of other lists used material bought from a fabric store that had Disney characters on it. Even though it was sold to her by the fabric store, she got caught in the middle and it cost her plenty. I am sure if you inquire on these other lists you can get the full story, but the bottom line is that for most, it is not worth the trouble to find out.

Jeff Banks

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>