[amayausers] Re: Lord of the rings - My experience

  • From: Captain Gold <captaingold@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:01:24 -0400

Speaking from personal experience, I recently talked to New Line Cinemas about a limited license to reproduce some of the LOTR movies' embroidery designs. I was nixed even before I could find out how much it might cost me. I was told that I could under no circumstances reproduce the designs (I'm pretty sure that their instructions included or implied both giving away and selling - I'm not going to test it). Between the movie company and the estate of the author (which I always misspell so I won't type it), they are very possessive/protective of the rights to anything associated with the estate.

I can't blame them, and I've stepped away (hopefully gracefully), if for no other reason than I respect their rights to decide what can and can't be done. Besides, their lawyers are better paid than my lawyer and there are more of them.

Connie Bechtel
Wyvern Productions
http://www.wyvernproductions.com/