[amayausers] Re: Design Disks

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:10:30 -0700

Hi Barbara,

 I thought I had sent an email to you but now I cannot find it in my sent
folder of the List archives?

 Anyway, I have a feeling the disks are in what is called the older Melco
Format? This is a Non-DOS format. Windows will not read the disks. The
design data or design file on the disks is the same, but the actual format
of the disk is of an older era that it requires software to read them, AND
the proper hardware in a computer capable of reading them. The Floppy Drive
Controller has to be able to read the special disk format as well.

 Melco software has the ability to read these disks. Do you have Design
Shop? Or you can also use Amaya software. Go to File, then IMPORT, not OPEN.
Open is for DOS type of disks or from the Hard Drive. In the Import dialogue
window, click on Unknown, then click on Directory and see if you get a list
of the files on the disk. The display will also move from unknown to what
format it is if it is able to read it. Of course this is also dependant on
the computer floppy hardware being able to do it as well.

 Let me know what you find? If it dos not work, I am open to you sending me
one of the disks and perhaps I can figure out what they are. Dakota never
sold MAC stuff on a MAC disk I am aware, so they are not MAC disks. The fact
they say Epicore and CND on them leads me to believe they are older Melco
format CND (Melco Condensed) disks. Epicore is the name of the first
computerized embroidery system Melco made that ran on the first IBM type of
computers ever made. They originally made disks in the old Melco format, and
later DOS format was a feature added to the software capabilities.

 Jeff Banks
 Melco Embroidery Systems