[amayausers] Re: Best speed for WACF

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 03:54:46 -0600

LuAnn,
    When you hoop a garment in a tubular hoop, the sewing field is supported
on all sides (Yes, I know a circle has no sides...).
    When you hoop a cap, the sewing field is truly only supported by the
metal strap that goes across the bill seam.  Meaning that you have a greater
chance of experiencing flagging in the cap while she's sewing, especially at
higher speeds.  Depending on your hooping skills and the type of cap you are
sewing, you want to try to get the sewing surface to be rather rigid in the
cap frame.  Ways that help with this would be because it's a stiff cap, or
you've really got it hooped tight, or you understand the concept behind how
backing supports the cap in the frame, or you've got the cap hooped at the
right angle so the inside of the cap is not dragging on any of the edges of
the needleplate, etc...  If you can minimize or eliminate the flagging, then
you might find that you could sew at higher speeds with success.  I think it
was Ron or Herb who said he was sewing his caps at 1200 SPM.  Way to go!  Of
course another factor could be what design you are sewing or what material
thickness setting are you using or whether or not the moons of Jupiter are
in alignment that evening.  My point, the longer you play with it, the
better you'll get at it.

    Best of luck to ya'.

Ed Orantes