[amayausers] Re: Amaya - Mac users

  • From: "Jeff Banks" <banksje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:38:30 -0600

I bet if the MAC user base increased it would be considered to perhaps offer
both PC and MAC versions. But when the MAC personal computer base is only
somewhere about 12 to 16 percent of the personal computer population, and
the actual Embroidery software audience is so small, the cost justification
to develop MAC versions of the software will probably never become a
reality. One thing I have been reading is that the MAC sales have increased
dramatically due to the IPod and associated stuff with it. Also the fact the
MAC is basically Virus, Spyware and Malware free it is becoming more and
more popular. The fact is though, that when the user base is so small
compared to the PC, a company looking to target the largest audience
possible with products that use a personal computer is going to go with a PC
to get the biggest return from the investment in development. Its just good
business sense.

 I am not sure how easy it would be, even with the cross compilers. There
are 3rd party drivers and modules used in the Melco software. The Dongle
Driver, (which states it is cross platform compatible, but no testing by
Melco as far as I know), the floppy drive driver used so the software can
read and write non-Dos disk formats such as the older Melco format, Barudan
etc., the Ethernet Driver which does NOT use the Windows networking in
anyway, and others. So, I am pretty sure it would be a big and costly
project to do, along with the added costs to all production aspects of it
such as testing etc. Not sure the target audience is big enough to justify
the expense to do it?

Just some of my thoughts on it...

 Jeff Banks
 Melco Embroidery Systems