[alpaca_fibre] Re: FW: Sire Reference Program

  • From: "Sixth Day Farm" <home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <alpaca_fibre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 08:35:17 -0400

That's a great idea Ted.  Anything that leads to more certainty about the
results can't be bad.  The DNA testing would need to be done on the actual
tissue sample however, and it would have to be done by the same lab doing
the histology, or the histology lab would have to send a piece to the DNA
testing lab. The tissue sample, in order to maintain its structural
integrity so that follicle counts, density or anything else can be
determined by viewing the histology, has to be placed in a fixative of some
kind as soon as it is taken. I don't know enough about the biochemistry of
DNA testing to know if the DNA test can be run on a sample that has been in
a fixative like formalin or not.

Wayne