[adtools] Re: binutils update

  • From: "Josef.Wegner@xxxxxxxxxxx" <Josef.Wegner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:00:16 +0100

Hi Gunter,

> > >   I backported a change from later binutils version to fix the
build. I
> > >   verified that ppc-amigaos isn't affected from this change.
> > >
> > Can I have the change so I can compile it and could start testing?
>  The mentioned change was already committed before I wrote my mail.

> > Forget it. I removed the problematic line. After this I could
compile
> > binutils fine.
>
>   Did you update your workspace? There is no need to change anything
if
>   you did a "cvs update".

That is funny. I updated my working copy a couple of time. It never
worked without commenting out following lines:

extern struct relax_type md_relax_table[];
#define TC_GENERIC_RELAX_TABLE md_relax_table

I have to check it again when I come home.

> > /tmp/ccaihH5I.s: Assembler messages:
> > /tmp/ccaihH5I.s:425: Error: value out of range
> > /tmp/ccaihH5I.s:425: Error: value of 464 too large for field of 1
bytes at 83

>   I have never seen this myself.

I do not get these errors on gcc 3.4.4. But I got some other errors...

> > However, with the binutils version from
> > http://www.zerohero.se/cross/index2.html I get a different error.
> >
> > /tmp/ccRyqDPw.s: Assembler messages:
> > /tmp/ccRyqDPw.s:3734: Error: attempt to get value of unresolved
symbol `__n:V632'

>   Thats a known problem but I don't know if its GCC or binutils bug.
Compile
>   without -g and this bug should go away.
>
>   Its strange that you get different error messages since the binutils
>   version from the given URL is an older version from what is in the
CVS
>   (it identifies itself as an AmigaOS build too).The differences
between
>   the two versions are minor only.

I will try to compile everything on gcc 3.4.4 first. If this works, it
might really be a gcc 4.0.2 problem.

> > So it would help me immensely, if you could send me a working patch
for
> > a gcc 3.x version. It would also be nice if you also provide me with
the
> > configure settings you used. Otherwise there are too many things
that
> > can have caused this problems (wrong configure settings, incorrectly
> > applied GG patches... ).
>
>   I don't have any patches that solve the problem. Try without -g and
>   maybe try an older binutils version (2.9.1).

I know you have no patches for my problems. But I like to have a version
of gcc that is known to work. I have problems compiling the GG 3.4.0
patches even with gcc 3.4.4. So, if I could get some patches that worked
for you. that would reduce the possibilties what went wrong. Perhaps the
problem just sits before the screen.

I would like to start again, but this time with a configuration that has
worked for you. I can compile this with gcc 3.4, I would start working
on the problems with gcc 4.x.

Thanks for your help,
-Josef

Amiga Development tools ML - //www.freelists.org/list/adtools