[adtools] Re: binutils update

  • From: Gunther Nikl <gni@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: adtools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:18:39 +0100

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 09:42:49PM +0100, Josef Wegner wrote:
> I tried to compile binutils with your patches on my linux. Sadly, I run
> in some problems compiling gas.
>
> I do not think that your patches are the problem. It looks more like
> that there is a general problem with gcc 4.0.2.

  Thats correct, the problem was present before but its only triggered
  for m68k-amigaos as target when using GCC4. ppc-amigaos isn't affected.

> ../../binutils/gas/config/tc-m68k.h:219: error: array type has
> incomplete element type
> [..snip..]
>
> The offending line is:
>
> extern struct relax_type md_relax_table[];
>
> I have no clue what is wrong.

  I think the message states whats wrong: there was no definition for
  the structure and apparently GCC4 dislikes that. It builds fine with
  GCC 2.95.x (and probably GCC3).

> Is this enough, or do you need more information.

  I backported a change from later binutils version to fix the build. I
  verified that ppc-amigaos isn't affected from this change.

  Gunther

--
Linux is only free if your time has no value
 - Jamie Zawinski