[accweb] Re: just a test

  • From: Bill Beavers <bbeavers57@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accweb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:23:06 -0800 (PST)

The way I would view the back button in the browser
for navigation is this... if you want a person
navigating your site to STAY on your site, you need to
provide back, next and home buttons on your pages to
help the user stay on your site.  If you link to
external sites from your site, then of course I would
have the external link come up in its on window (use
the _blank option for the hyperlink Target Frame), and
this will then let the user to use their back and
forward browser buttons when they go "offsite" from
your pages which you do not control.

You can easily setup a sign in form if you want people
to do that before entering your site. This from could
be the only thing on your default page that a person
could be required to do before gaining admitance, or
at least being an option before getting to your
content pages.  Think this through though before going
this route.  These kind of things sometimes scare
people off as they do NOT want to be require to leave
info on a page to get to use it or see it.  Even if it
is optional, it might just be best to have this type
of "guestbook" form on your default page, or a link to
a guestbook page for those who what more infor or to
comment on the site.

As for creating PDF files, you will either need the
full Adobe program (version 7 I think is the latest),
to create a PDF file from a Word document or other
file you may have, OR you can get programs like
CutePDF
(http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp)
and do it all for free.  CutePDF only serves the most
basic PDF creation functions but for most people this
is enough.  With the PDF created, then in Frontpage
all that is left is to go to File... Import and bring
the document into your web and place it into the
appropriate folder and then link to it and you are
set.

Hope this helps a little.