[accesscomp] Re: adjusting volume in Windows XP

  • From: "Gene" <gsasner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accesscomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:29:23 -0500

Page up and page down change the volume in large increments.  Left and
right arrow changes  the volume in small increments.  When making a large
volume change, it may be best to use page up and down and then tailor the
change  further with the arrow keys.  But playing headphones directly from
the soundcard is not necessarily going to provide satisfactory results
regardless of how you adjust the sound card volume.  You may hear an
annoying hiss or hum.  You will probably also get very tired of constantly
changing volume card settings when you want to use the speakers and the
headphones.  Many computer speakers have an earphone jack somewhere built
into one of the speakers.  Look for such a jack yourself and if you don't
find one, have a sighted person look.  The jack may not be in an easy
place to find and may also not be obvious by touch.  I have a pair of
speakers in which the jack is recessed and feels nothing like a jack.  All
you feel is a hole in the plastic which you would not necessarily
associate with a jack.  If you use the jack provided on the speakers, you
can adjust the earphone volume using the speakers' volume control and you
will not have the potential hum or hiss I discussed earlier.  If you don't
have such a jack, rather than playing the headphones directly from the
sound card, check at a place like Radio shack to see if you can purchase
an extension cable for headphones that has a volume control.  I believe
such cables are available but I have done almost no checking.  Other list
members may know where to get such a cable and may be able to verify
whether they are manufactured.

Gene